It’s taken me 4 1/2 years of university, 3 years of owning a business, and 3 years of living with Royce to develop an organization system that works for me. Today I’m sharing that with all of you in case you can take away any tips to make your life more organized!
1. Write it down
I’m a type A person and I have a pretty good memory but when my client list began to grow I started forgetting more than I was comfortable with. That’s when I started writing it all down. Every single thing I do work wise in a day gets written down and checked off. Travel, yoga, and special events get highlighted, and anything missed that day gets circled. Anything circled gets done first the following day.
Why this works:
1. Who doesn’t love checking things off their to-do’s?!
2. When your life is crazy with work, it helps you feel a much greater sense of accomplishment for what got done that day as opposed to thinking there’s just so much left to do.
3. If I can’t remember if I sent an email or not, I always have a hard copy reference of when something got done (or what didn’t).
2. Sync Calendars
My day planner comes with me everywhere, but Royce is much more digital based than I am so now every calendar of ours is synced. My iPad, MacBook Air, iPhone, and iMac are all synced to the same calendar so I don’t miss a beat. Royce colour codes all of his weddings in yellow and all of mine are in purple. We have a joint colour too so we know where the other is expected to be if we forget to tell each other face to face (ahem… if he forgets to tell me… I always tell him.)
Why this works:
1. It’s been a huge lifesaver for financial stress. I know when he’s working so when money is coming in and vise versa.
2. We were constantly forgetting each other’s schedules. Small arguements of forgetting to tell the other (ahem) about a meeting or shoot the other was supposed to helping with no longer exist! Happy wife, happy life right?
3. Get a Notebook
I swear by my notebooks. Again, the write it down tactic. Every single consultation I do gets dated and written down with all major wedding details. Ie) Wedding date, wedding venues, estimated ceremony and reception time, booked vendors, wedding colours, bridal party size, and wedding theme. I can’t tell you how many times I reference back to these pages with brides. After every consultation I type up my meeting notes and send them back to my bride if she needs them and otherwise keep them for myself in her client folder.
Why this works:
1. It’s easier to remember what needs to get done after the consultation if it’s written down.
2. If your consultation is dated, you can never forget the last time you met with a client and where they were at in their planning stages.
3. I draw ideas and room layouts so often in a consultation, it’s so nice to have a notebook around for your non-visual brides and for yourself to look back on closer to the wedding date.
Royce nagged me for years to organize my computer better… fine Royce. You win, okay?! My life is now 1000 times easier because of you. I have all my business folders in dropbox so I can pick it up from any apple device I own. That way, I never have to worry if my computer dies in a meeting or if I quickly need to reference something. My folders are labelled as such:
Created Lovely Brides 2014– Folder for each client with every vendor contract, basic wedding schedule, and master schedule
Created Lovely Contracts 2014– Every bride has a number starting from 100 that corresponds with their invoice and receipt number. Example Title: Created Lovely Contract #141- Nicole & Royce
Get Money- Invoices 2014– Example Title: Created Lovely Invoice #141- Nicole & Royce
Got Money- Receipts 2014- Example Title: Created Lovely Receipt #141- Nicole & Royce
Any revisions to invoices or receipts get updated on the original invoice/receipt and saved as a new title so I never send the wrong one.
Example Revision: Created Lovely Receipt #141- Nicole & Royce (revised May 1, 2014)
Taxes 2014– Any workshops, graphic design, domain hosting, etc. receipt I’ve received via email for taxes
Vendor Pricing– Any vendor pricing I’ve been sent
Styled Shoots– A folder for every shoot I do with inspiration board and final images
And then of course a million more to keep my life feeling like it’s organized.
There you have it! That’s how I attempt to live an organized life. Hope this is helpful!